Thursday, March 26, 2009

My fanfic, sorry for the delay

This is a fan fiction based on the novel The Rules Of Attraction written in the grammatical and spoken word/train of thought style(s) of the book. I chose to add an extra chapter to two minor characters, Sorry if it's abit jarring to read but I wanted to use the format of the novel.



Victor: [summarizing his vacation] Take the 10:05 from Camden to New York. See some freshmen from either my tutorial on the postmodern condition or who I fucked at one of the Dressed To Get Screwed parties. Take a cab to The Chelsea Hotel. Thought I saw Elvis Costello, but it could have been a bum. Meet two girls from Sarah Lawrence who call me Patrick and sell me a gram of speed but it’s cut. Saw MOMA. Went to a bar without a name, only a fragrance. Walk through Central Park at night. Almost get stabbed by a junkie but throw a shoe at him instead. Drink Perrier-Jouet at Tavern On The Green with a British girl who swears she’s fourteenth in line for British Thrown; I fuck her in the back of cab and leave her with the bill. Get on the first flight from JFK to LAX. Stay the Chateau Marmont. Stand on the spot where F. Scott Fitzgerald had a heart attack. Head to the Roxy, which is full of Bleach Blondes so I end up at a Depeche Mode concert but lose my shirt. Try to steal Alan Wilder’s keyboard but get stopped by a Samoan bouncer. Meet up with Clay who takes me to a party in the Hills. 
I can no longer see the light at the end of the tunnel; this confession has meant nothing…


Richard "Dick" Jared: The three men sit around the table in awkward silence until son pulls a prescription bottle from his pocket, “pop” he breaks the safety latch for the bottle and swallows three small white pills as the other two men look on in curiosity. “What is that” his father says angrily, the son moves his hand over his mouth and mutters under his breath, his father clearly angered by his son turned his eyes trying to make eye contact. “What” but his son refused to look at him instead starring at the painting directly in front of him, “I said RU486 that’s a nice painting why have I never seen it well I guess I have never seen half the shit in this house have I dddaaadd” he said hastily and coyly. “That’s enough,” the father yelled. Grandfather feeling the animosity in the air looked at his grandson, “so how long have you been prescribing yourself the abortion drug or was this just what you could get your hands on”. Father raises his voice to grandfather “now hold on a second”, but the son calmly interjects “don’t raise your voice to your father he brings up a good point, I have been taking various mind altering substances and honestly I can’t remember what’s what anymore”, his grandfather nods. “So how long have you and my father not been speaking” his father buried his face in his hands, “oh god”. The son did not like this interjection “do you have something to say father because we’re all ears” but father waved his hand forwards “no please go on, continue”. Grandfather looked at his slightly inebriated grandson “I think your father should pitch that one but now may not be the right time” he sipped on a glass of water “anyway what happened to that nice young girl umm Mary” “Kate yeah, ha, Kate”, the sons smugness was what the father hated the most about his son. “I mean, I know that was a while ago but what happened to her? Do you still see her?” “Yeah I haven’t seen her in since the funeral but I guess I wouldn’t”. “Who’s funeral” the son was a little too entertained by this question, “hers, ah yeah she died two years ago at her birthday party of all place’s, um a friend of mine was with her, she was in the bathroom with a couple of people”. “What was she doing in the bathroom with ‘a couple of people’ or do I not want to know”. “She was according to this friend of mine lying in the empty bathtub, coke all over, hash pipe in mouth and like liquor all around when she starts coughing really loudly, I mean so loudly that her parents burst in and like freak out”. “First thing they do is grab the pipe from her mouth and throw it down the drain and then they give the two guys in there with her five hundred bucks never to reveal what happened to their darling daughter”. “Her parents said she died of acute respiratory problems and that’s all” the fathers words were lost on his son, “they paid you off to didn’t they”.



3 comments:

  1. The story flows really well, you can read it all in one gulp! (I mean both bits separately). I don't know the book though, so I can't really say how suitable to the original plot this is, but judging from the colour and vividity you gave to the characters I suspect you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haimona, this is very strange way to write a story. I have never heard of this (train of thought) style before. Is the book really written in this format, the whole book? Or are only some passages written in this style?
    Regarding the first part, the story on Victor, the story flows really well. I only do not understand the final sentence. Which “confession” are you referring to; can I only understand this by reading the book?
    Concerning Richard “Dick” Jared, it was a bit hard for me to notice who speaks when. However, I really like this style; I hope that I am right that it is a little different to that of the text before. It is a great story with such a surprising end, a really good main point! I think you developed the character, especially that of the son, very well! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite like the second part of your fan fiction, the storyline developed smoothly, and it’s great to see that you portrayed these distinctive characters of the three generations mainly by dialogues between them, and the story structure is clever with an unexpected ending which made your story readable.
    As I haven’t read the original book yet, so I don’t really understand what is “the grammatical and spoken word/train of thought style(s) of the book.” Is that like what you wrote as whole story happened only in one paragraph and some dialogues without Punctuations?

    ReplyDelete